Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Vegan like me: Part I

Chapter 1: "What happens when a meat & dairy loving dude attempts to "go vegan" for 60 days?"

*************************************************************************************************************************
*************************************************************




"Goodbye, meat and dairy..."

I mean how hard could it be, rite?

As soon as I wake up, early. Earlier than I had expected and two and a half hours before my first alarm (you know, the one you set to snooze the first 45 foggy minutes of the morning?) goes off. Even with the heady weight of early morning sleep fogging the ol' gray matter, I am already beginning to doubt last night's resolution. Maybe I was just up too late? Delirious from the past month's work overload? Just an inevitable eventuality to the slow but steady increasing immersion into my (over a decade in the works) "all natural/herbal" kick?

Perhaps. And Perhaps a mixture of all those factors and inspiration owed to Paige, the resident vegan here at Eternally Herbal and my and Eternally Herbal new friend, vegan model, the lovely Dani Bre (who coincidentally I discovered, once again, through Paige here at EH).

Last night I had a steak. Tastiest steak I'd had all year, or a calendar year marked from yesterday. (Albeit one of two total steaks I've had in said calendar year). Fitting send off, I suppose before I begin this adventure. I can't help but be reminded of the zen koan about the two Buddhist monks traveling. A woman is standing at a bank unable to cross, one monk lifts her up and carries her across the river despite the religious injunction against any contact with members of the opposite sex.

The next day, the other zazen practitioner looks at his companion, puzzled and upset:
"I still cannot believe you broke our oath by touching that woman, even going so far as to hold her, carry her across that wide and treacherous stream."

"I left her there at the other side, my brother. It is you now, who carry her still, in your mind."
Chew on that as I consider how I still carry that steak in my mind's belly...

****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

This won't be too bad though, I'm thinking (bright and bushy-tailed now, after a shower). I'll start with my usual anyway, the veggie sub at Subway next door to the Inn I'm currently posted up at. Drat, they're still closed. I thought they served breakfast. How can you serve breakfast and not open before 8? Ok, ok, that's fine, we'll have one last send off then. A sausage and egg burrito (as non-vegan as it gets without bacon involved, gang) is my (gulp) final non-vegan meal of the day.
At least they've got that tasty veggie burger here at Burger King I can... Wait, you're telling me Morningstar uses milk and dairy products in their veggie burger? This is going to be a challenge. I like Morningstar, personally prefer them to Boca, but maybe that's just cause the first veggie patty I loved was the black bean and corn burger from MS, but does this mean even a lot of vegetarian products are taboo when you go the whole vegan? Guess so. Well, good thing I've got a handful of friends who've already gone vegan to refer to with advice. Not to mention a whole mess of nice vegetable proteins, seeds and smoothie mixers coming from Eternally Herbal soon...



"Mmmmmmmm, guacamole."

No comments: